You are here

News

You will find in this section the latest public news regarding the liquefied natural gas market, regulation and innovations. Please type any keyword in the search box and /or use the  ”area”, “topic” and “date” filters to refine your search. Feel free to submit your news to GIIGNL using the contact form.

 

June 18, 2018

Anadarko secures Mozambique LNG supply HoAs

Anadarko announced Mozambique LNG1, the jointly owned sales entity of the Mozambique Area 1 investors, has signed a HOA with Tokyo Gas and Centrica for the long-term supply of LNG. The agreement calls for the delivered ex-ship supply of 2.6 MTPA from the start-up of production until the early 2040s.

The Anadarko-operated Mozambique LNG project will be Mozambique's first onshore LNG development, initially consisting of two LNG trains with total nameplate capacity of 12.88 MTPA to support the development of the Golfinho/Atum fields located entirely within Offshore Area 1.

Edited from Anadarko Press Release.

June 15, 2018

Panama’s first LNG terminal receives commissioning cargo

Costa Norte, the first LNG import terminal in Panama and Central America received a commissioning cargo from Cheniere’s Sabine Pass. The terminal consists of a 180,000 cbm LNG tank, a jetty and regasification facilities. Total capacity of the LNG terminal is expected to be 1.5 million MTPA.

AES Corporation of US has a 50.1 percent stake in the $1.1 billion LNG-to-power project that includes a 380MW combined-cycle gas turbine. The other 49.9 percent share belongs to Inversiones Bahia of Panama. In 2017, AES signed a deal with France’s Engie under which the latter would supply 400,000 tons of LNG per year over a 10-year period to the Costa Norte LNG terminal.

Edited from LNG WORLD NEWS.

June 12, 2018

Qatar’s Nakilat signs deal on FSRU stake with Excelerate

Nakilat, the world’s largest LNG shipping company, signed an agreement with Excelerate Energy, to establish a joint-venture company and acquire interest in FSRU Exquisite. Nakilat said it plans to acquire a 55 percent stake in a FSRU. Mohammed Bin Saleh Al Sada, Qatar’s minister of energy and industry and Nakilat chairman, said the agreement will enable the company to widen its international outreach.

The FSRU unit has a capacity of 150,900 cbm and a peak regasification rate of 745 MMcf per day. The vessel is located at Port Qasim in Pakistan and has received 10.4 million tons of LNG since it started operations in 2015, out of which 7.8 million tons were Qatari LNG.

Edited from LNG WORLD NEWS and REUTERS.

 

June 4, 2018

FSRU Höegh Esperanza chartered for 3 years to Tianjin terminal

Höegh LNG today signed a time charter for the FSRU Höegh Esperanza with CNOOC. The time charter is for three years with a one-year extension option. Under the contract, Höegh Esperanza will be utilised in FSRU mode at the Tianjin LNG terminal in China for no less than an agreed-upon minimum period each year, with the balance of the year in LNGC mode and/or FSRU mode. The contract will commence with immediate effect.

Chinese policies to encourage consumers to transition from coal to gas have caused natural gas consumption to increase sharply. This increased demand has required significant increases in LNG imports, as evidenced by China importing 12.7 MT of LNG in the first quarter of 2018, or 61% more than in the same period of 2017. To enable further growth in Chinese LNG imports in line with these policies, additional LNG import facilities need to be developed, including FSRUs. 

Höegh Esperanza was delivered from Hyundai Heavy Industries in South Korea on 5 April 2018. This FSRU has a storage capacity of 170 000cbm and a maximum regasification rate of 750 MMscf/d. 

Edited from Höegh LNG press release.

May 31, 2018

CNOOC takes FID on Tianjin LNG terminal expansion

CNOOC announced today that its Board of Directors took FID on the expansion of its Tianjin LNG terminal to help meet surging demand in northern China. 

According to the company, Tianjin LNG imported 2.08 MT in 2017, an increase of 215% over the previous year and in 2018 the terminal is expected to import 3.21 MT. 

The expansion project includes the construction of 6 tanks of 220,000cbm capacity, 12 gasification units and 12 high pressure pumps. 

The construction of the new facilities should start at the end of the year and full operations are expected for 2022. 
The terminal capacity will be increased to 7.25 MTPA.
Edited from CNOOC press release.

Pages