You are here


You will find in this section the latest public news regarding the liquefied natural gas market, regulation and innovations. Please type any keyword in the search box and /or use the  ”area”, “topic” and “date” filters to refine your search. Feel free to submit your news to GIIGNL using the contact form.


September 12, 2019

Vopak acquires 49% LNG import facility in Colombia.

Royal Vopak has announced it has acquired 49% of Sociedad Portuaria el Cayao (“SPEC”) in Cartagena, Colombia. The remaining 51% is owned by Promigas (51%).  It has been in operation since 2016 and is the only LNG import facility in Colombia.

The LNG import facility consists of an LNG jetty, onshore infrastructure and a 9.2 km gas pipeline which connects SPEC to the national gas grid. A chartered FSRU is receiving the LNG and sending the gas on shore. SPEC holds long term contracts with three local gas-fired power plants. 

Edited from Vopak’s press release

September 5, 2019

New LNG filling Station in Sweden

The third LNG and LBG (liquefied biogas) filling station has been opened in Sweden, for heavy-duty vehicles in Örebro. The filling station is owned by Gasum, which aims to increase its filling station network for heavy duty vehicles to 20 stations, with 12 of the stations located in Sweden.

Edited from Gasum press release

September 5, 2019

FID taken on Arctic LNG 2 project

FID has been taken for the Arctic LNG 2 project. The project will consist in the development of the Utrenneye field and the construction of a natural gas liquefaction plant on the Gydan Peninsula in the Russian Arctic region. The LNG plant will consist of 3 liquefaction trains with overall production capacity of 19.8 MTPA. The launch of LNG train1 is scheduled for 2023, with LNG trains 2 and 3 to be launched in 2024 and 2026, respectively. The cost of the project is estimated at US$21.3 billion.

Edited from Novatek press release

September 5, 2019

Heads of Agreement signed between Novatek and Saibu Gas

PAO NOVATEK and Saibu Gas Co., Ltd have signed a Heads of Agreement to establish a joint venture to market LNG and natural gas to end customers, to develop the business for bunkering and gas-fired power generation in Japan and the Asian region, as well as to construct and operate a new LNG storage tank at the Hibiki LNG terminal.

Edited from Novatek press release

September 3, 2019

Toshiba sells U.S. LNG business to Total

Toshiba has sold Toshiba America LNG Corp, its LNG gas operation in the US to Total. In June, they had already announced a sales agreement, which finally took place on 30 august for $15 million after evaluating that the plan to procure U.S.-manufactured LNG for Japanese utility companies was unlikely to achieve profitability.